Libraries have been around as long as people have been recording information. In the third and second millennia B.C, the Babylonians and Assyrians had libraries of clay tablets. Today, despite the proliferation of information available on the Internet, libraries remain an essential part of society and communities, because they provide the following unique services.
- Libraries loan books, magazines, films and other published or copyrighted materials that cost money to access otherwise.
- Libraries provide silent spaces, spaces for individual small gatherings, and learning.
- Promote reading, literacy and lifelong learning.
- Libraries have librarians, who are experts at finding information and doing research.
- Libraries provide computer access.
Here are some fun facts about Holman Library at Green River College.
- You can borrow up to 50 books at a time -- and keep them for two weeks or more.
- You can borrow books, articles and other materials that we do not have in Holman Library by using our interlibrary loan system.
- You can easily search and access the full text of hundreds of magazines, newspapers and academic journals online, at no cost, through our subscription databases such as Academic Search Premier.
- You can stream or borrow DVDs of films and documentaries.
- You can get professional research help from a librarian.
Where ever you go, whatever you do, always find, use and enjoy your local library! Here are some other local libraries to know about.